Thread: Slurry stone use

1. Collapse Details
    Slurry stone use
    Should one use the same type of slurry stone as the hone?
    I currently use my dmt 325 to slurry my norton 1k/4k/8k, is this ok?

I noticed a vendor here selling black arkansas burnish/slurry stones.
    Are they to used only with an arkansas hone? I never used to slurry my arkansas'.

tia,
    ken

2. Collapse Details

I've alway understood that so long as the slurry stone is harder than the hone it'll work OK so you should be good. Coticule slurry stones work with BBW's and Naniwa 1k SS, barber's hones work with Eschers is the sum total of my experience with such things. (Should say, I prefer BBW slurry stones on BBW by the way.)

3. Collapse Details

I think you are on the right track using the DMT 325 to raise your slurry.
    That is my go to slurry "stone" for anything I want to make a slurry on from a synthetic such as Norton to a natural such as escher.
    I use the credit card sized DMT 325 strictly for this purpose. Just make sure you clean it between stones to avoid any cross contamination.

Cheers, Steve

4. Collapse Details

thanks all.
    I was thinking of picking up a credit card or other smaller dmt but wanted to hear back from you guys first.

5. Collapse Details

I agree with shooter, I think it's the right track using dmt 325 to raise the slurry,
    that's what I used to do when I begun learning with 4/8k norton, I did not have 1k
    it helps faster to set the bevel on 4k, & on 8k I used a lighter slurry before on water only

eventhough kinda ironic now how I only use slurry on natural only
    , it's been a year since I used any slurry on synthetic

6. Collapse Details

If the slurry stone is harder than your hone, the slurry you get will be (mostly) from the hone. If the slurry stone is softer than your hone, the slurry you get will be (mostly) from the slurry stone. When the hardness of the slurry stone and the hone are relatively close you'll get a mixture.

It's fun having a few different slurry stones to experiment with I've got BBW, Coticule, DT, Escher/Thuringian and Llyn Idwal slurry stones. I also have a couple small stones I could use: Schwedenstein, DB, Carborundum and a CF.

7. Collapse Details

Fyi if you use the dmt 325 card for slurry it may not work well on a hard stone. I have a Nakayama Maruichi asagi that is so hard if you use a dmt in it metal comes off from the plate all over the stone...

I prefer tomonagura on hard japanase stones.

8. Collapse Details

I've had good luck using these. From Amazon less than $20 shipped

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51q7TG0-Z8L.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	1082

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DRW View Post
    I've had good luck using these. From Amazon less than $20 shipped

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51q7TG0-Z8L.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	1082
    Thanks again everyone.
    I ended up getting the above. They are perfect for slurry and have alot of other uses as well.
    I worked them over the back (rough side) of my granite slab to make sure I got rid of any loose diamonds.

many thanks,
    ken

Thread Information