Thread: easy way to learn how to strop.

1. Collapse Details
    easy way to learn how to strop.
    Blog Entries

2. Collapse Details

The best explanation I have seen Thank you

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for the video Sham. This has been most helpful. For a year now, I have held the shank at the top and bottom, which you say not to do, although I have figured out a way to flip it without too much trouble, rather than turning my wrist. But today, I tried gripping the shank from side to side, like you recommend, and can immediately feel a difference--meaning more complete contact between the blade's edge and leather with each pass. For example, in the past, I have preferred a strop with a light draw to a heavy draw, but today, I tried stropping on latigo using the grip you recommend and the heavier draw there seemed just fine.
    Alan

4. Collapse Details

I'm a wrist turner, works for me.

Here is a vid I made a bit ago.

http://youtu.be/DQfUToyxv1Q
    Last edited by Doc226; June 15th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Alfredo

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Classic Vid Sham,you did that awhile back I think.
    had a young local PM me a few weeks back,he was having a terrible time with his stropping,said come on bye but bring your own strop.
    His was petty beat up but usable.
    First I noticed was the razor was totally sloppy in the pivot,showed him how to peen and tightend it up,explained that even tho you do not hold the scales while stroping a loose pivot complicates the stroping motion,Next I had him strop,he was a speed demon,got him to slow down by half and all was much better,he was a wrist turner,got that corrected,may work for some,honed his blade, sent him on his way.He called last week happy/happy,said his blade was still shaving,speed kills I said, all is good

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Doc226 View Post
    I'm a wrist turner, works for me.

Here is a vid I made a bit ago.

http://youtu.be/DQfUToyxv1Q
    I remember that video well, Alfredo. I think you made it for me. ;-) Looks like you're doing the second example that Sham shows. I agree that this is the most comfortable hand-positioning; but all the same, in following Sham's video and Jerry's advice, I've been using the side-to-side grip with good results over the past several months, although my grip still remains closer to corner-to-corner on the stroke that moves away from me. And in visiting a local straight-razor expert here recently, he encouraged me to use a stricter side-to-side approach, or more or less what Sham advocates in his video. Of course, the proof is in the pudding, and your 120+ shaves and still going strong example, with a pristine strop no less, must be recognized.
    Last edited by Mr. Wilson; June 16th, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
    Alan

7. Collapse Details

I use the same stropping technique as in the video. I find the blade contact is better and more consistent going up and down. With the wrist turning method, I find the contact, especially coming back down is not as even. I try to teach most beginners to flip the razors using their fingers, as it really pays off in the long run.

8. Collapse Details

I turn the wrist and i nick some of my strops , back then . As watching this video , when it came out , i understand and i learn my self to strop like this . Since i have no edge dull or strop nick or any problem even in a hight speed . i can tell that i learn to strop properly from Sham video . After i beggan to seartch and watch all his videos and i learn how to use properly thuringian or other finishing stone . In his honning videos , as i was newbe , i recognize immediately , that this man is the most experienced honner from all videos .
    thanks to Sham and Lynn Abrams videos , i learn an important basics . Thanks Sham , i learn a lot from you .

Thread Information