Thread: Shave of the Day (SOTD) Thread

Page 1 of 62 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Shave of the Day (SOTD) Thread
    As a somewhat regular participant to the old Shave of the Week threads over the past 2-1/2 years here on R&S, I am sorry to see their recent absence. Truth is, though, that the responsibility of starting a new thread each week was and is a daunting challenge. Also, the emphasis on showing the best shave of the week can be a bit intimidating to some folks, particularly those just starting out. So in discussing things with Geezer and frameback, the three of us have agreed that a "Shave of the Day" thread might be a nice change of pace, since it would remain ongoing, allowing people to participate as they see fit, either from time to time without obligation or regularly, concentrating on what seems to be working and perhaps more importantly for beginners, what doesn't seem to be working in a given day's shave.

Want to celebrate or document an excellent shave? You can post it here. Want feedback on your shaving technique? You can post your method ask questions about it here. The main thing is that the shave of the day is where it all comes together: beard prep, soap, brush, razor, and post-shave, as well as honing and stropping if you are using a straight-razor. Viewed as a whole, it a great way to perceive and discuss how one aspect of the shaving routine works in tandem with another.
    Last edited by Mr. Wilson; December 9th, 2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Alan

2. Collapse Details

SOTD 9-12-14:

JASON skin oil (pre-shave);
    Valobra almond/menthol (soap);
    Golddachs "selected hair" pure grey badger (brush);
    Dovo "ebenholz" 5/8 square-point full-hollow (razor);
    Bloc Osma (astringent);
    Myrsol formula "F" (after-shave);
    Radio: France Culture.

Post-stropping:
    Scrupleworks 2" cotton webbing charged with Stirling sheep's milk soap (10 laps);
    Scrupleworks 2" vegetable-tanned horsehide (30 laps).

Name:  SOTD-9-12-14.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  92.2 KB

Standard 2-1/2 pass shave here, with touch-ups on the moustache area and the bottom of my chin. At first, I thought the Golddachs brush was going to be a perennial shedder, but it's stopped losing hairs over the past week and is proving to be a nice entry-level badger brush for the price. Not prickly at all, nice absorption, and a nice bloom afterwards. The Valobro soap was a gift from my niece's Italian boyfriend. It lathers very quickly; just a few light swishes of the brush on the soap and it's ready to be applied to the face, where it's a nice, slick lather. Menthol builds slowly there, coming into full bloom during the second pass. Little bit of alum block tingle in the touch-up areas afterwards. Myrsol "F" also has its slow menthol build, combined with a sooty, barber-shop like chemical scent. Nice own its own, but not necessarily the perfect combination with the Valobra. (Still looking for the right finish after this soap.) All in all a decent, close shave, a little bit on the sharp/harsh side of smooth.
    Last edited by Mr. Wilson; December 11th, 2014 at 05:13 AM.
    Alan

3. Collapse Details

SOTD 09-12-14 @ 0520 -5h GMT

Razor: Geneva Special A
    Brush: Omega Boar
    Soap: Sampson's (Face lathered with cold water)
    A/S Sampson's Balm

Sorry, No pics (am I allowed do do that?) my son took his camera to college. But shave today was the best I've had from an edge I've honed. After trying for several honing sessions to get a dilucot edge on a Geneva Special A, I conceded defeat and taped the spine and did unicot. HHT 3-4 12.52 mm (1/2") from blade before stropping, after 60 linen and 60 leather was getting HHt-4 19mm(3/4") from the blade.

2 1/2 pass shave was close and comfortable. I was very pleased
    Last edited by John Hughes; December 10th, 2014 at 05:34 AM.
    John

4. Collapse Details

May the rest of the week give you all a nice glow!

B'Day Shave!
    Geo. Wostenholm and Son's,Washington Works~1880, Rassagel'Ancien “Menthe,” Baume.be.

The Day? Overcast and cool. The Shave? A simple shave in the old style; everyone played their part and all was good! G'Grandfather's mug!~ 1882. The little hone is a keeper!

~Richard
    "" A purpose is the external condition required for success.""

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the posts guys, and a happy birthday to Richard!

While pix are great and are certainly to be encouraged here, they're not required. Main thing is to get an overall sense of the shave. Glad to hear the honing is working out for you John. I admire your persistence.
    Alan

6. Collapse Details

Happy Birthday Richard!

Paul

7. Collapse Details

Happy Birthday Richard! I hope to have my home internet back up soon so I can join in.
    Mike
    "Focus on where the razors spine is during the shave." This will allow you to make pitch adjustments to the blade angle reducing the chance of cuts.

8. Collapse Details

Thanks Guys!
    ~Richard
    "" A purpose is the external condition required for success.""

9. Collapse Details

Happy Birthday!

10. Collapse Details

Thiers Issard Historique 6/8 Half Hollow Spartacus Ram's Horn Straight Razor

Penworks Silvertip Shaving Brush

Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere Shaving Cream

Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere After Shave Balm

Montale Black Aoud EDP
    Peace in the country, peace in the world. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Thread Information