Thread: Home made a aftershave - success (wife cannot tollerate many scents)

1. Collapse Details
    Home made a aftershave - success (wife cannot tollerate many scents)
    My wife, a most wonderful person, cannot tolerate scents of typical perfumed products.
    Scents can trigger breathing problems.

I had a bottle of club man - not good.

However, she buys essential oils.
    After searching the intent it became known to me that Witch hazel + essential oils can be employed.
    I raided my wife's stash of oils....

I put a small quantities of:
    Men's Lubricated 3 in 1 (unscented lotion that I was using for after shave)
    Witch hazel
    pepermint
    clove
    lavender
    thieves
    (maybe others)

The wife of my youth tolerates this well.
    I think the after shave problem is solved for now.

Cheers,
    Jody

2. Collapse Details

Hi Jody;

Witch hazel is good stuff for after shaving. I always use an alum bloc with cold water rinse, sometimes followed by witch hazel. Other times I use an aftershave lotion and have several that I like. Most dry off and do not leave much of a lingering scent. With the winter months approaching dryer air follows at least in the northern tier states. Certain oils can help replenish and soothe the skin after shaving.

I remember I sent you some EDT samples, I forget which ones. Those are typical concentrated forms of perfume and can be quite overpowering. Only a very small amount is used which can linger for hours if not careful phhheew.
    Mike
    "Focus on where the razors spine is during the shave." This will allow you to make pitch adjustments to the blade angle reducing the chance of cuts.

3. Collapse Details

Some of my favorite essential oils are Frankincense, Muir, Vetiver, Cedarwood, and Burgimont. Some of the ones I really dislike are sandalwood and pachouli. Essential oils make for ver good additions to aftershave balm and pomade.
    Shaun

4. Collapse Details

As the dry winter months are now arriving, I will move from alcohol-based splashes to witch-hazel concoctions. With the AS in the summer, I use an alum block beforehand, but as witch hazel is an astringent as well, using both witch hazel and an alum block have always struck me as being redundant. The Thayer's witch hazel line has been good from my experience, and my wife likes to use it as well, if that's any recommendation. Otherwise, you could try one of the generic big-box pharmacy bottles, cutting it with straight grain alcohol or vodka as deemed necessary, and adding drops of various essential oil fragrances, etc. I recall something like 10 drops of essential oil to 1 fl. oz. witch-hazel solution being the recommendation for starters.
    Alan

5. Collapse Details

I have made a few batches of Bay Rum.
    Large handful of Dry Bay Leaves from kitchen store/ Grocery store.
    Couple drops (±¼ teaspoon)Bay Berry essential oils. From health food store and others.This will make a darker liquid and slightly stronger scent
    1½cup of190 proof vodka
    Place in a mason jar, cap it, and allow to soak for a couple/few weeks.
    I have placed the open jar into the microwave to warm it about every week; then recapped it. Warm equals faster leaching of the plant oils into the alcohol.

I gave some 2 ounce bottles away and have had the recipients call and ask for more when they ran out. It seems about equal to the scent of vintage Bay Rums that I have tried.

This process will probably work for most plants, or fragrant natural products. It is not the fancy distillation used by top end perfumeries.

Have fun! Remember the first of the Vodka is for the aftershave!!
    ~Richard
    PS I have added some burnt/ scorched pine to give a pine tar kick. A little goes a very long way, though!
    "" A purpose is the external condition required for success.""

6. Collapse Details

I tried some of Richards Bay Rum and it was very nice. Nice dry down and the fresher scent actually lasted longer than many retail Bay Rums available.
    MIke
    "Focus on where the razors spine is during the shave." This will allow you to make pitch adjustments to the blade angle reducing the chance of cuts.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks Richard. I remember mention of your bay rum and I was curious as to what the recipe/method was.
    Alan

8. Collapse Details

Enjoy! It is easy and cheap because the Bay Leaves are almost free and the Essence is about $6 for enough to last a life time. Might try a drop of it on unscented shave soap.
    ~Richard
    PS, If you have a few favorite soaps down to the bottom of the mug, you can scoop them out and use a kitchen food grater and grind them together. add a few drops of water when packing the result into a cup or can or...a shave stick.
    I have done this with a bar of pine tar soap and left-over Green Mountain soap.
    ~Richard
    http://www.razorandstone.com/showthr...wn-Shave-Stick

"" A purpose is the external condition required for success.""

9. Collapse Details

I have a bunch of left over soap, I keep meaning to do this combination.
    Mike
    Last edited by MODINE; November 23rd, 2016 at 12:07 PM.

Thread Information