Thread: Water only pass.

1. Collapse Details
    Water only pass.
    In the past I have always thinned the lather for the last pass - actually just added some water and mixed with residual lather left from the shave. Its really more of a slippery feeling than lather.
    Over the last few months I have gradually gotten to removing all traces of soap and residue before final touchups.
    In My barbering textbook it is called the "second time over". It warns that "a great deal of caution must be taken".

This allows for incredible closeness and picks up troubled areas easier.
    Does anybody else do this?

Paul
    Last edited by paulblo; February 12th, 2017 at 04:03 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Back when I was mostly face-lathering, I would let the lather become thinner and thinner arriving at the touch-ups. If anything, it allowed me to see the resistent whiskers I was seeking to sever, rather than leave them buried in the murk. I have heard of folks switching to a water-only pass at this stage, but I haven't tried it, fearing it would lead to irritation. Perhaps an oil might work here?
    Alan

3. Collapse Details

I feel compelled to give it a try (perhaps in limited areas).

Jody

4. Collapse Details

By the way, in recollection of another recent thread, I note that the text as photographed (first image) mentions stropping "for the third time" prior to the "second time over."
    Alan

5. Collapse Details

Good catch Alan, I rectified that when I re-read it and started this thread!
    Funny, it does not mention it (during the shave) when talking about stropping. Only when talking about the shave itself.
    As for the oil, I like the water only. If the water dissipates it will grab - so it really must be recently wet. Right after wiping with water you can get a couple of quick wipes on an area. It seems to be the most effective way to get troubled areas for me.
    I imagine too much may irritate the skin but it is so effective this has not been a problem.
    If you have one area of your face that always needs an extra touchup try this method and see if it helps.

Paul

6. Collapse Details

On my 3rd buffing pass which is ATG, I thin the lather out.. I used to use a brush-less shave cream for 3rd ATG buffing pass. https://www.google.com/#q=brushless+...cream&tbm=shop I can't seem to find the brand I used though anymore. I have used CREMO thinned w/water for ATG pass and it works well. I have also used oils for 3rd pass buff as well. Very slick and moisturizing.
    Mike
    "Focus on where the razors spine is during the shave." This will allow you to make pitch adjustments to the blade angle reducing the chance of cuts.

7. Collapse Details

I water-only shaved a couple of small patches recently, and it seems profitable.
    I *think* I am getting the hang of this after 3.5 months this go round.
    Jody

8. Collapse Details

I would only suggest it for problem area's to avoid irritation, but yes it gets the last of them.
    I like an extremely close shave so I do not feel any whiskers afterwards with a little pressure in any direction.

Paul

Thread Information